PinnacleHealth's Spiritual Care Services are designed to meet the spiritual, emotional and religious needs of all our patients and their families.
Our spiritual care team is a group of caring and compassionate individuals who help patients and families draw upon the strength and wisdom of their faiths to:
- Understand and cope with illness
- Cope with grief and loss
- Make ethical and moral decisions
- Make end of life decisions
Our Spiritual Care Team
The spiritual care team includes:
- A Catholic priest
- On-call ministers
- Volunteer chaplain assistants
- The clerical staff of Volunteer and Social Work Services
The spiritual care team offers patients and families caring and compassionate support including:
- Counseling of patients, families and friends
- Offering prayers and the administration of sacraments
- Providing crisis support
- Assisting with ethical and moral decisions
- Serving as a patient advocate
Our clergy make regular visits to patients when requested at all four PinnacleHealth hospitals. A member of the spiritual care team is on-call 24 hours a day to respond to patient needs.
Patients should inform a member of the patient's healthcare team if they desire a visit. Patient confidentiality and cultural needs are respected at all times.
The spiritual care team provides spiritual and emotional support to staff and can act as a liaison between clinical staff, patients, families and friends. Educational in-service programs regarding the link between spirituality and healing are also available.
The chaplain is on-call 24 hours a day and can be reached by calling (717) 782-5450. After 5:00 p.m. and on weekends, please call the hospital operator at (717) 782-3131. To contact the Catholic priest, call (717) 782-5999, ext. 8010.
The Chaplain will be contacted when:
- A request is made by a patient or family
- A request is made by the clergy
- The patient is experiencing grief, anxiety, depression, loneliness or personal issues
- There are ethical or moral dilemmas
- There are crisis situations
The Spiritual Care Program Coordinator, Reverend Donrico E. Colden, has offices at:
- Harrisburg Campus (Hospital - Main 1)
- Polyclinic Campus (Hospital - 1 Memorial)
- Community Campus
He can be reached by calling (717) 782-5450 or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patients and families are welcome to use our chapels and meditation room at any time, day or night. Chapels are available for worship and meditation at Harrisburg and Polyclinic Campuses. A small meditation room is available at the Community Campus.
Wings to Fly Celebration
Since 2004, PinnacleHealth Spiritual Care Services and PinnacleHealth HomeCare and Hospice have hosted this bi-annual interfaith special event. It is a remembrance ceremony for families and friends, celebrating the lives of deceased patients at PinnacleHealth facilities and those served by PinnacleHealth Hospice.
The event takes place at the Market Square Church and features readings by local clergy members of various faiths, special music featuring a guest soloist and harpist, the reading of names and lighting of candles. All friends and family are invited to attend. The event typically lasts one hour and there is no charge to attend.
For more information please call PinnacleHealth Spiritual Care Services at (717) 782-5220.