Choosing A Pediatrician
Choosing A Pediatrician
Children are not just small adults. They have specific health needs that need specialized care. Our board certified pediatricians and family practice doctors are among the best in the area. They are experts at delivering preventive and routine care for children from birth through age 21, and have immediate access to the specialists and facilities at PinnacleHealth.
When it comes time for choosing a physician for your baby or older child, PinnacleHealth offers several practices from which to choose. Providers include pediatricians, family practice physicians or pediatric nurse practitioners.
Do Some Research
- Pediatricians specialize in caring for children from birth to around age 21. A general practice pediatrician works with their patients and families to manage the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of their patients, in every stage of development. They provide preventive health maintenance for healthy children and may also coordinate care for children who are acutely ill.
- Family practice physicians treat patients of all ages, from birth to the elderly. They can treat your whole family and not just your child, providing routine and preventive care as well as treatment for acute illness and chronic conditions.
Conduct An Interview
Choosing a pediatrician is a very personal decision. Make an appointment to meet your prospective doctor or nurse practitioner and spend some time observing the office. Ask yourself if the atmosphere in the office makes you comfortable. Do you feel you could communicate well with doctor? Your child will benefit if you and their healthcare provider can work together as a team.
Other important questions to ask include:
- Is the pediatrician on your insurance plan?
- Where is the doctor's office located?
- Is it convenient to your home or your child's school?
- What are the office hours?
- Do they work with your schedule?
- Do they have early, late or weekend hours?
- Is the doctor available by phone, email or both?
- How many providers are in the office?
- Will you always see your chosen doctor?
Your First Visit
- For your first visit, please come 15 minutes early to allow time to fill out new patient paperwork and insurance information.
- We ask that you bring your insurance card and list of medications your child may be taking.
- We participate with many insurances and ask that you check with your company with any questions you have about your coverage. You are responsible for any non-covered charges.
- If you have an insurance co-pay for office visits, we ask that you pay that at the time of your appointment. We accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover, as well as debit cards for payment.
Need help finding a physician for your child?
Call PHoneLine at (717) 231-8900 or email PHone@pinnaclehealth.org. and let one of our friendly customer service reps help you find a doctor close to you.
- Services & Resources
- Our Services
- Primary Care
- Why choose PinnacleHealth Primary Care?
- Choosing A Pediatrician