Infertility affects about 12 percent of couples of childbearing age. If you are having difficulty conceiving or carrying a baby, the experts at Reproductive Medicine Associates (RMA) of Central Pennsylvania at PinnacleHealth will provide compassionate, advanced care to determine the cause of infertility.
Conceiving a child depends on a number of complex physiological processes, including:
- Production of healthy sperm by the man
- Production of healthy eggs by the woman
- Unblocked fallopian tubes that allow the sperm to reach the egg
- The sperm’s ability to fertilize the egg
- The ability of the fertilized egg to become implanted in the uterus
- Adequate embryo quality
An accurate diagnosis is the first step toward treating infertility. Because both men and women can have physiological problems that cause infertility, the specialists at RMA will screen and test each partner using the latest, state-of-the-art diagnostic tools.
After an initial consultation , members of your care team will create a customized diagnostic testing plan tailored to your specific situation.
Diagnostic tests may include:
- Physical examination
- Hormone, ovulation and semen evaluation
After your specialist determines the cause of infertility, he or she will develop a personalized treatment plan for you and/or your partner. Your physician will consider age, overall health, medical history, infertility causes, and personal preferences when developing your fertility treatment plan. Your customized fertility treatment plan may include:
- Ovulation medication
- Drug therapy
- Uterine insemination
- Assistive reproductive technology, such as in vitro fertilization