The infectious disease physicians at PinnacleHealth specialize in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of infectious diseases, which are conditions caused by organisms such as bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites.
Transmission And Treatment Information
Infectious diseases are transmitted by:
- Other people
- Insect or animal bites
- Contaminated food or water
- Exposure to organisms in the environment
Our team of experts delivers comprehensive, compassionate care when diagnosing and treating your infectious disease.
We treat conditions such as:
- Nonhealing wounds
- Skin/tissue/bone infections
- Lyme disease
- Hepatitis A, B and C
When do I need an infectious disease specialist?
Not everyone who has an infectious disease needs an infectious disease specialist. However, your regular physician may refer you to a specialist for certain conditions such as:
- An infection following a hospital stay
- Prolonged fever (lasts more than a week with no known cause)
- Recurrent chills or weight loss
- Lyme disease or other tick-borne illnesses
- Hepatitis or HIV
- Sexually-transmitted diseases
What To Expect
The infectious disease specialists at PinnacleHealth will review your medical history as well as any diagnostic tests or X-rays you have had. Depending on your symptoms, you may also be given a physical examination to diagnose your condition. Our specialists will develop a customized treatment plan to return you to health and prevent recurrent infections.
If you are planning to travel to a country where there is an increased risk of contracting an infectious disease, our staff at the Travel Clinic can teach you how to avoid exposure before you take your trip and reduce your risk of becoming ill while you're away from home. Our experienced and specially trained medical team provides up-to-date information allowing you to make healthy choices while abroad. A typical visit includes:
- Customized plan for reducing any destination-specific health risks
- Counseling on malaria prevention if needed
- Explanations of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended vaccina??ons
- Administration of any required injections in the office
We see travelers of any age, including children. Our staff will assess any existing medical condi??ons, including patients whose immune systems are weak. In addition, we provide internationally accepted cer??ficates of vaccination; this proof of vaccination is required at some international borders. Our clinic is one of the few travel centers in the area certified to offer yellow fever vaccine, which is required in many countries. We also offer the following immunizations:
- Japanese Encephalitis
- Hepatitis A & B
For more information regarding infectious diseases, call us at (717) 614-4420.