PinnacleHealth’s cardiovascular surgery program has been recognized at both the state and national levels for providing the highest caliber of cardiovascular care.
Each year, we perform more than 700 cardiovascular and thoracic surgeries. Our surgeons offer the best possible outcomes for the most challenging surgical cases and provide the complete spectrum of cardiovascular surgical care, including minimally invasive options and advanced hybrid surgeries.
Together with our interventional cardiologists, our cardiovascular surgeons offer dually-performed procedures, such as robotic CABG followed by stenting, in our hybrid operating room and participate in percutaneous heart valve therapy cases.
Studies show that centers performing high volumes of cardiovascular procedures have the best patient outcomes and lowest mortality rates. PinnacleHealth is an outstanding example of this fact. Since performing the first heart bypass surgery in the region in 1956, PinnacleHealth has been a pioneer in cardiovascular surgery. We continue to make advancements in the field each day.
At the national level, PinnacleHealth has also consistently received the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ (CMS) highest rating for cardiovascular surgery. This accolade is the coveted 3-Star highest quality designation for heart bypass and valve surgery outcomes from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
Mubashir Mumtaz, MD, our chief of cardiothoracic surgery, is in the top 5 percent in the state of all surgeons’ volumes. He is also the only surgeon in Pennsylvania to achieve a combined inpatient and 30-day mortality rated as “better than expected” for total valve surgery.
Services We Offer
- da Vinci robotically-assisted CABG
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass graft (OPCAB) surgery
- Hybrid robotically-assisted (CABG with concomitant coronary stenting)
- Heart valve repairs and replacements
- Right chest minimally invasive mitral valve repair
- Mini incision aortic valve surgery
- Single, double or triple valve surgery with or without heart bypass grafts
- Aortic root surgery with or without aortic valve preservation (David procedure)
- Aortic aneurysm repair
- Atrial fibrillation surgical procedures
- Total thoracoscopic maze
- Concomitant maze (maze with valve and/or CABG)
- Ventricular assist devices (VAD) Tandemheart, Impella
- Adult congenital cardiac intervention
- Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) closure
- Septal defects
- Left atrial appendage (LAA) closure
- Aortic surgery
- Endovascular stent grafting for thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Open repair of thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Repair of traumatic and spontaneous aortic dissection
- Treatment of peripheral artery disease
- Endovascular therapy including percutaneous atherectomy, balloon angioplasty and peripheral stenting
- Renal artery stenting
- Open and endovascular repair of popliteal artery aneurysms
- All forms of open surgical bypass
- Carotid artery stenting
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Treatment for venous disease
- Percutaneous treatment for acute deep vein thrombosis (DVT) including thrombolysis and thrombectomy
- Percutaneous and open treatment of pulmonary embolism
- Inferior vena cava (IVC) filter placement
Support And Education For Our Patients
At PinnacleHealth Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery, support and education are key components to a successful experience with heart surgery. We’ve developed a very active support group where patients can share ideas, thoughts, and concerns with people who understand.
Our Powerful Hearts Support Group sessions include presentations by physicians, nurses, registered dietitians, exercise experts and more. There is always something new to learn, discuss, and share.
This is a free service, and we encourage friends and families to attend as well. Light refreshments will be served. Visit our classes and events section for upcoming meeting dates, or see below.