Atrial Fibrillation Program
The team at PinnacleHealth CardioVascular Institute performs advanced procedures that allow patients with atrial fibrillaton to live normal lives, often without medication.
Arrhythmias are abnormal heart rhythms caused by changes in the electrical impulses that flow through the heart. These abnormal rhythms can cause clots, which increase the risk of stroke. Atrial fibrillation is the most common type of arrhythmia and affects nearly five million Americans and nearly 10 percent of Americans over the age of 75.
The team at PinnacleHealth CardioVascular institute is at the forefront of advanced treatment for atrial fibrillation, offering diagnostic and treatment options. Advanced surgical techniques include the newest innovations such as the AtriClip® system.
To diagnose atrial fibrillation, your doctor may do tests that involve the following:
- For many patients with atrial fibrillation, medications are the most helpful form of treatment. The goal of these medications is to prevent and treat blood clots, which can lead to a stroke. Sometimes other drugs are prescribed to attempt control of heart rate and rhythm.
- Cardioversion – with this procedure, the patient receives an electrical shock on the outside of the chest either using paddles or patches. The goal of this treatment is to reset the heart to a normal rhythm.
- Catheter ablation
Hybrid Ablation Procedure
- Hybrid Ablation - minimally invasive treatment that combines surgical and catheter-based techniques
- Services & Resources
- Our Services
- Cardiac Care in Harrisburg, PA
- Cardiac Services
- Atrial Fibrillation Program