Heart and Vascular Screening
Heart and Vascular Screening
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - and that’s especially true for heart disease. Conquering heart disease begins with prevention and early detection.
Knowing your risk is the first step to preventing or treating heart disease. From basic blood pressure and cholesterol tests to screening tests using imaging technology, PinnacleHealth is your partner in managing your cardiovascular health.
Carotid artery, abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA), and ankle/brachial index (ABI) screenings are offered by appointment only. PinnacleHealth CardioVascular Institute offers these screenings in our accredited vascular laboratory.
- Carotid artery screening - This doppler ultrasound test provides a view of the inside of the carotid arteries in the neck to screen for fatty plaque buildup, which could cause a stroke.
- Abdominal aortic aneursym screening - This screening uses doppler ultrasound technology to evaluate the aortic artery in the abdomen for enlargement (aneurysm). Rupture of an abdominal aortic aneurysm is often fatal.
- Ankle/brachial index (ABI) - Ultrasound is used in this test to look for a blockage in the arteries of the lower leg that could cause leg pain while walking. Plaque buildup in the leg arteries is known to be associated with increased risk of heart disease.
Screenings are available individually for $30 each. For $100, participants receive the three screenings (carotid artery, AAA, and ABI) as well as a blood pressure and cardiac rhythm strip for atrial fibrillation.
Please call us at (717) 441-0580 to schedule your vascular screening.
Know Your Numbers
PinnacleHealth offers regular health screenings and a risk assessment programs to help you learn the numbers that reveal your risk for cardiovascular disease – body mass index, glucose level, cholesterol and blood pressure measurements. Our classes and events section features the most up-to-date listings. You can also schedule health screenings for your business, organization or place of worship through PinnacleHealth.
To schedule a program for your event or organization call (717) 231-8900.
Cardiac Risk Assessment
PinnacleHealth’s Cardiac Risk Assessment Program gives you a way to assess the current health of your heart. Screening programs are for both men and women and cover a wide range of services, including:
- Calculating body mass index (BMI)
- Checking blood glucose levels
- Discussing family history
- Receiving a nurse consultation
- Taking a lifestyle assessment
- Testing lipid profile (HDL, LDL and total cholesterol, and triglycerides)
Cardiac risk assessments are held at our various community events. Please call the PHoneLine at (717) 231-8900 or visit our classes and events section to find out about our next event featuring cardiac risk assessment.
Coronary Calcium Scoring
If you have a high risk of heart disease but no obvious symptoms, your healthcare provider may recommend a Coronary Calcium Screening (CCS). This is a five-minute test that uses computed tomography (CT) imaging technology to detect buildup of calcium and plaque in the walls of the arteries in your heart. Click here to learn more about Coronary Calcium Scoring.
Lowering Your Risk
After you’ve undergone screenings and the measurements are available, your primary care physician will schedule an appointment to discuss them with you. The two of you will discuss ways to help you achieve better health.
Depending on your calculated risk and the extent of calcified plaque found during screenings, your doctor may recommend lifestyle modifications or medical intervention. Lifestyle modifications may include dietary changes, weight reduction, increased exercise and smoking cessation. Medications also may be prescribed.
- Services & Resources
- Our Services
- Heart & Vascular Care
- Prevention and Wellness
- Heart and Vascular Screening