HARRISBURG, PA -- PinnacleHealth System’s board approved a multi-year strategic plan focused on developing a highly integrated system of care designed to increase access, enhance quality, and lower cost. The plan includes the expansion of the hospital from two to three acute care campuses and major improvements to PinnacleHealth’s Harrisburg Hospital and Community General Osteopathic Hospital. A third acute care facility will be built on property currently owned by PinnacleHealth adjacent to the Fredricksen Outpatient Center on the Cumberland Campus in Hampden Township.
This expansion responds to demand caused by the growth and aging of the central Pennsylvania population. The plan promotes greater coordination of care among providers and easier access for patients and physicians. This process began recently with the acquisition of Heritage Medical Group and Tristán Associates and the expansion of PinnacleHealth Oncology Services. These actions support a greater integration of services that will enhance clinical quality, promote efficiency, and reduce the cost of health care.
The plan will be implemented immediately with the facility improvements at the three campuses ongoing. Construction of the West Shore Hospital is expected to be complete in 2014. The facility expansions will provide more than $150 million of construction activity in our community and approximately 400 permanent jobs will be created pursuant to the plan over the next five years.
“Our strategic plan meets the vital needs of our growing community. We have listened to feedback and are now expanding our services so that we can more efficiently and effectively provide care at our current two acute care facilities as well as the new hospital,” said Michael A. Young, President and CEO. “Our focus is providing access to quality care, innovation and controlling costs so that we can continue our mission to care for all the people of central Pennsylvania.”
The Cumberland Campus was chosen for the new hospital because the system is nearing capacity at its other hospital campuses. The West Shore Hospital will provide a well-rounded continuum of care and offer acute medical and surgical services, cardiology, orthopedics, chronic disease management center, transitional care services and an Emergency department.
The facility will allow for more private rooms at all three campuses, including Harrisburg Hospital which is nearing capacity, and offer Dauphin County residents greater access to care. Private rooms are the current and expected quality standard in patient care.
- The strategic plan will create an integrated system of inpatient and outpatient services convenient to the entire service area including Dauphin, Perry and Cumberland counties. This vision includes the following for all PinnacleHealth locations:
- Chronic disease management
- Improving the health of an increasingly aging demographic on both shores
- Improved access for easy transition between outpatient and inpatient care
- Better coordination of care throughout the entire network: convenient access to physicians, diagnostic centers and hospitals
- Private rooms and waiting areas for patients and families
- Patient amenities and family-focused design
- Improved transportation services
- Flexibility to meet expectations of accountable care and healthcare reform
The new hospital will be financed through a combination of borrowing reserves, and philanthropy. PinnacleHealth is a non-profit system and receives no operating subsidies from local governments. The cost of constructing a new hospital will not be funded by taxpayers, but will benefit them.