PinnacleHealth is the leading hospital and healthcare system in central Pennsylvania, offering services from prenatal to geriatrics.
When measured against all 257 Pennsylvania hospitals, our experience ranked in the top 5 percent for major joint replacements, heart catheterization and stenting, open-heart surgery, kidney transplants and spine/back surgery. For the second consecutive year, our experience was sixth in births.
- PinnacleHealth is a pioneer not-for-profit healthcare system, dedicated to providing and improving the health and quality of life for the people of Central Pennsylvania since 1873.
- A proven leader in medical innovation, PinnacleHealth offers a wide range of services from primary care to complex surgeries.
- Our healthcare network includes four campuses (Community, Harrisburg, West Shore and Polyclinic) as well as medical services such as family practice, imaging, outpatient surgery and oncology at multiple locations throughout the region. Access our A-Z service directory here.
What Sets Us Apart
- PinnacleHealth nurses are the first in the region to achieve Magnet® status—the highest national recognition for nursing excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- We are recognized for fast, lifesaving treatments for heart attack and stroke. Our Code STEMI is 55 minutes, which exceeds the national average of 90 minutes.
- We are nationally recognized for our bariatric, diabetes, heart, neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery programs.
- PinnacleHealth is enrolled in more cardiovascular clinical trials than any other hospital in central Pennsylvania.
- We have the area’s only high-volume, Level III NICU.
- PinnacleHealth Spine Institute provides a comprehensive, customized plan of care for those suffering from back and neck pain and has received The Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval Certification.
- The Children’s Resource Center (CRC) is the area’s only center for the comprehensive care and counseling of children who are victims of sexual and physical abuse. We partner with area district attorneys, police, medical professionals and counselors to help victims and their families prosecute and heal from abuse.
- We offer the latest high-definition technology for endoscopies, allowing physicians to find lesions previously missed.
- We are a teaching hospital with eight residency programs in Internal Medicine (allopathic and osteopathic), General Surgery (allopathic and osteopathic), Pediatric Surgery, Podiatric Surgery, Family Practice (osteopathic) and Orthopedic Surgery (osteopathic). We offer four fellowship programs in the areas of Toxicology, Maternal Fetal Medicine, Sports Medicine and Bariatric Surgery.
- We perform more than 21,325 surgical procedures each year at Harrisburg Hospital, more than 8,500 surgical procedures at Community General Hospital, and we see more than 107,600 people in our Emergency Department.
- The Donald B. and Dorothy L. Stabler Emergency Department, completed in October 2011, has the capacity to serve 110,000 visitors annually and offers large, private, comfortable settings with state-of-the-art technology.
- PinnacleHealth is one of only 90 hospitals to participate in the Best Fed Beginnings Learning Collaborative, a one-of-a-kind national effort to significantly improve breast-feeding rates.
- Our cardiologists perform more than 1,100 coronary interventional procedures each year, ranking us fourth in the state of Pennsylvania for interventional heart catheterizations.
- We offer the first and only diabetes program in Pennsylvania (and one of only 20 nationwide) to attain The Joint Commission’s Advanced Certification in Disease-Specific Care for Inpatient Diabetes.
- PinnacleHealth CardioVascular Institute surgeons performed the area’s first heart bypass surgery in 1956.
- We offered the first CyberKnife® Robotic Radiosurgery System in central Pennsylvania to treat tumors of the brain, neck and spine.
- PinnacleHealth was the first in Pennsylvania to have the Aquilion ONE Volume Computed Tomography (CT) Scanner—the world’s first dynamic volume CT medical imaging system.
- We were the first in central Pennsylvania to use the da Vinci® Surgical System in 2006 for heart bypass, gynecologic and urological surgeries.
- The PinnacleHealth Toxicology Center was the first of its kind in the U.S. and is the only such center in Pennsylvania.
- PinnacleHealth cardiothoracic surgeon Mubashir Mumtaz, MD, was the first in the U.S. to use the new AtriClip® device for atrial fibrillation.
- PinnacleHealth became the only health system in central Pennsylvania to offer a dedicated Vascular Access Center for dialysis patients.
- PinnacleHealth was the first in the world to perform and publish robotic-assisted anterior lumbar interbody fusion surgery for spine patients.
- We were the first in the United States to implant the SECURE®-C Cervical Artificial Disc to replace damaged discs in the neck.
- We were the first hospital in Pennsylvania to establish a Heart Recovery Center using leading-edge hemodynamic support technology.
- PinnacleHealth is participating in a groundbreaking national clinical trial for transcatheter aortic valve implantation for high-risk patients with aortic stenosis.
Ways We Give Back:
- PinnacleHealth provided more than $14.8 million in community benefits and reached more than 2.1 million people through programs and services such as free screenings, community health education and chronic disease management between July 1, 2011, and June 30, 2012.
- We provided $51.7 million in uncompensated or undercompensated care in fiscal year 2010 and $47 million in fiscal year 2011. We also provided $8 million in charity care in fiscal year 2012.
- We offer a free mammogram program to care for those who are uninsured or underinsured and cannot afford to get this vital test.
- PinnacleHealth employees volunteered more than 28,000 hours of their personal time to community organizations and initiatives in 2011. PinnacleHealth hospice volunteers provided more than 7,000 hours of care and support.
- PinnacleHealth has some of the lowest hospital infection rates in Pennsylvania. Infections that patients acquire during their hospital stay must be reported to the Pennsylvania Department of Health. Of the more than 250 hospitals in Pennsylvania, PinnacleHealth is one of only 16 (and the only one in the region) that beat the target rates defined by the state.
- We have some of the lowest readmission rates in Pennsylvania.
- We have the lowest preterm elective delivery percentage, giving the best start for babies born early and on time.
- PinnacleHealth’s Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery program achieved the three-star highest quality designation for cardiac surgery outcomes from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons for the third consecutive rating period.
- The Joint Commission granted PinnacleHealth Disease-Specific Care Certification–Advanced Heart Failure for management of heart failure.
- Our diabetes management program is the first of any health system in Pennsylvania to attain Gold Status Certification by The Joint Commission.
- We have achieved certification as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission.
- The PinnacleHealth CardioVascular Institute was recognized for excellence in quality and care with Gold Status for Heart Failure in 2011 and 2012 and Silver Status for Stroke in 2011 by the American Heart Association’s Get With the Guidelines® program.
- For nine consecutive years, employees nominated PinnacleHealth for the Best Places to Work in Pennsylvania award.
- As a Community Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Center, PinnacleHealth was awarded three-year approval by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) for having voluntarily committed to providing the highest level of quality cancer care and undergoing a rigorous evaluation process and performance review.
- The PinnacleHealth Breast Care Center has been awarded full accreditation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC).
- PinnacleHealth was designated a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by the American Society of Bariatric Surgery (ASBS).
- PinnacleHealth’s Chest Pain Center received accreditation by the Society of Chest Pain Centers for providing state-of-the-art care during the critical window of time for heart attack patients.
For more information call the PHoneLine at (717) 231-8900.