Here are some key milestones:
A new partnership with Highmark is formed to expand patient-centered medical home efforts in central PA.
PinnacleHealth breaks ground to build the new West Shore Hospital in Hampden Township.
PinnacleHealth opens new Orthopedic and Spine Unit in Harrisburg.
2012 - Luciano DiMarco, DO, PinnacleHealth surgeon, is the first in Pennsylvania to perform da Vinci Single Site gall bladder removal.
PinnacleHealth surgeons first in the world to perform anterior lumbar spine surgery with da Vinci Si Surgical System.
- PinnacleHealth Cancer Center
2011 - New Medical Sciences Pavilion built on the Community Campus which includes the new PinnacleHealth Cancer Center and Imaging Center.
2011 - PinnacleHealth's Cardiovascular Institute launched which includes 31 specialists from the regions most respected and requested cardiology groups.
- Silver Spring FamilyCare
opens as part of PinnacleHealth System’s FamilyCare network.
- PinnacleHealth's Harrisburg Hospital ED
fully operational after construction update.
- CyberKnife® Robotic Radiosurgery System launched at the new PinnacleHealth Cancer Center.
- PinnacleHealth receives Magnet Hospital
- Health Information Exchange (HIE) participation includes 700+ providers.
- PinnacleHealth obtains new da Vinci Si and performs regional “firsts” including
first thyroidectomy and first cardiac bypass.
- Pulmonary Nodule Clinic
launched to provide quick evaluation and treatment of lung nodule cases.
- Drs. Mumtaz and Loran performed region’s first robotic endoscopic (no incision) CABG at PinnacleHealth.
- PinnacleHealth opened a new antepartum unit opened
- Women’s Cancer Center
performed 1,000th robotic surgery.
- PinnacleHealth opens The Spine Institute
- A multidisciplinary team approach to provide patients with comprehensive care for neck and back pain.
- PinnacleHealth Imaging implements dose reduction software
in CT Scanners in order to perform procedures with significantly less radiation .
– PinnacleHealth’s Harrisburg Hospital is the first hospital in Central Pennsylvania to be recognized as an Accredited Chest Pain Center by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
– PinnacleHealth performs its first kidney transplant as part of the National Kidney Registry’s (NKR) paired donor exchange program
. At the time, the transplant was part of the biggest kidney exchange transplant surgery chain in the United States, which involved eight pairings of donors and recipients coast-to-coast. Over a one-week period, September 30 to October 6, 16 surgeries took place at five hospitals across the nation. The exchange had the first red eye flight used for a transcontinental shipped kidney, first compatible pair in a NKR swap and the oldest recipient in an NKR swap at 83 years old.
- PinnacleHealth has been named as one of the Best Places to Work in PA
for the seventh consecutive year .
- PinnacleHealth achieves recognition as a Thomson Reuters100 Top Hospitals®: Cardiovascular Benchmarks for Success Winner
for the second consecutive year.
- PinnacleHealth installs the first Aquilion ONE®
(volume computed tomography (CT) scanner) in the state ... one of only nine in the entire country
- PinnacleHealth completes 700th transplant surgery
since establishing the program in 2000
- AARP Best Employers for Workers Over 50
- PinnacleHealth recognized as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission
, the foremost accrediting body in healthcare in the United States
– PinnacleHealth begins offering new antibody reduction protocol to kidney transplant
patients, helping to reduce preformed human leukocyte antigen (HLA) antibody levels and enhancing the patient’s compatibility with available kidneys.
- PinnacleHealth Opens, one-of-a-kind, advanced Minimally Invasive Endovascular Suite
- First same-sitting hybrid revascularization (heart bypass surgery and stent placement) with da Vinci robot
- PinnacleHealth achieves recognition as a Thomson Reuters 100 Top Hospitals®: Cardiovascular
Benchmarks for Success Winner
– New operating room, equipped with state-of-the-art minimally invasive surgical technology
, was dedicated on February 7. The suite offers surgeons and staff the latest innovations, from advanced optics to integrated imaging.
- PinnacleHealth's Bariatric Surgery Program
attains Center of Excellence designation by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- PinnacleHealth nurses achieve Magnet Recognition
- PinnacleHealth becomes the first in the northeast offering robotically-assisted minimally invasive surgery
(heart bypass and prostatectomy) with the da Vinci® S™ Surgical System
- PinnacleHealth nurses seek Magnet Recognition
- PinnacleHealth installed Central Pennsylvania's first fully-automated laboratory robotics system
- First SPY® Operating System
- Started the region's only inpatient geriatric psychiatric program.
- PinnacleHealth Heart & Vascular Institute drove the first cardiac patient in the new VIP Van Service, a courtesy shuttle service for cardiovascular patients at the Harrisburg Campus.
– PinnacleHealth created the Adolescent Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
, which was designed to fill the gaps between traditional outpatient and acute behavioral health services. This service is located on the Harrisburg Campus in Press Hall now under the Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute
- Introduced the Cardiac Transfer Center
which assists physicians and hospitals transferring patients to PinnacleHealth for cardiovascular procedures.
- PinnacleHealth brought the National Red Dress Project to Harrisburg
, educating women about their #1 health threat: heart disease. Along with the high profile red dresses, local and national celebrities Olympic Gold Medalist Peggy Fleming, ABC News Reporter Cokie Roberts, Miss Pennsylvania Candace Otto and abc27 Anchors Alicia Richards and Valerie Pritchett helped spread this important message.
carotid artery stent placed
- Toxicology Center
- one of the first of its kind in the nation - is founded
- Highest Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts (CABG) performed in Pennsylvania
- STAT MedEvac Air Transport Service established
- The newly expanded Community Campus Emergency Department
was dedicated by the Albert and Marie Herbert family and PinnacleHealth officials
– The Fredricksen Outpatient Center on the West Shore Campus
was dedicated on October 25. The outpatient health and clinical services center and physician office building houses an outpatient surgery center in addition to clinical and diagnostic testing areas.
- A new cardiovascular center opened
on the 4th floor of the Harrisburg Campus featuring improved waiting areas and state-of-the-art technology
- First stent trial
- First kidney transplant
- Five new operating rooms (OR) opened on the Harrisburg Campus
. They feature advanced technology and are staffed by highly skilled surgical teams. Each OR is outfitted for general surgery with some specially prepared for cardiac surgery, orthopedic procedures and neurosurgery
- PinnacleHealth Heart & Vascular Institute is named one of the top 100 U.S. providers of heart care
, according to a study by HCIA, a Baltimore-based healthcare information and analysis company
- First minimally invasive Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) repair.
- Opening of the PinnacleHealth Heart & Vascular Institute.
- Cryosurgery was offered for the first time in Central Pennsylvania on the Community Campus
- PinnacleHealth opened dedicated stroke units in both Harrisburg and
Polyclinic Hospitals as part of the formation of a comprehensive stroke care program
- Community Hospital
- First off-pump coronary bypass
- Polyclinic Hospital and Capital Health System merged to become PinnacleHealth
- Harrisburg and Seidle Hospitals merged to form Capital Health System
- Introduced Capital Psychiatric Associates, part of Capital Health System, which then became PinnacleHealth Psychological Associates (PHPA)
- Plans for the involvement of the Harrisburg Interdenominational Ministerium in the building of the Chapel. Rev. Clyde Roach, Rev. L.S. Morrison, and Elder Earl E. Hines, Jr., are part of the project.
- Andrew M. Bradley, a member of the Board of Directors since 1971dies. He was credited with playing a major role in the recent master site construction project at Harrisburg Hospital. Officials honored Bradley by constructing the Andrew M. Bradley Flag Plaza on South Front Street, at the main hospital entrance.
– The Harrisburg Institute of Psychiatry was established
– Psychiatric Department initiated at Polyclinic Medical Center
- First Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA) at Harrisburg Campus
- $33.7 million project approved by Board in May for Harrisburg Hospital.
- First Children's Health Fair for 600 area third graders held
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) opened at Harrisburg Campus
- Adult Partial Hospital program (first in the area) was started.
- Harrisburg Hospital sponsored the first Community Mental Health Center in Dauphin County
. Services included Inpatient Psychiatry, Mental Health Outpatient services, emergency services for psychiatric patients, and Consultation services.
- 17-bed Intensive Care Unit opened with six cardiac monitoring facilities
- Opened the inpatient psychiatric unit
- First heart catheterization at Polyclinic Campus
: - First open heart surgery performed at Harrisburg Campus
- First cardioversion at Polyclinic Campus
- Osteopathic Hospital (now Community Hospital) opened
- Seidle Memorial Hospital founded
– The Dunott-Coover Memorial Operating Room Trust was established with $4,000 worth of stocks; income was used to buy surgical instruments.
- First gasoline-powered ambulance put into service
- Polyclinic Hospital opened
- Haldeman-Haly Operating Room opened in response to high demand for services
- Harrisburg Hospital officially founded
Click here to view the PinnacleHealth Historical Archives